人教版英语必修四Unit 1 Women of achievement章节试题练习题
Unit1 Women of achievement
I don’t think it is ______taking the trouble to explain the question to him.
A. worth B. worthy C. worth of D. worthwhile
2. You’d better ______ your behaviors in public places， or you are likely to get a ticket.
A. watch B. see C. observe D. notice
3. With courage and determination， she set out to _____ her childhood dream： to become a world famous actress. Which of the following is NOT OK？
A. realize B. achieve C. come true D. live
4. Everybody showed great respect to the old doctor， who devoted everything he had to _____ the poor conditions of the local hospital.
A. improving B. improve C. to improve D. being improved
5. No matter what you have achieved， you have no reasons to ______others in your filed.
A. look on B. look up to C. look forward to D. look down upon
6. When forbidden to surf the Internet， teenagers often _____it， saying that it provides them with colorful entertainments， a convenient means of communication as well as useful information
A. argue about B. argue with C. argue for D. argue against
7. In the old days， his father was not able to earn enough money to ______ his family.
A. raise B. bring up C. make D. support
8. The doctors in the medical institute wrote several articles， explaining in detail the steps of how to _____ a baby.
A. give B. deliver C. have D. give birth to
9. In my opinion， an organization should be set up to study the______ a child’s personality and his living environment.
A. relation to B. connection with C. link of D. connection between
10. A modest person always ______modestly， no matter how great he is.
A. does B. behaves C. looks D. appears
11. After years of careful observation in the wild， Jane Goodall was finally able to _____ the social system of chimps.
A. carry out B. pick out C. look out D. work out
12. It is impossible to ________one’s goal without working hard.
A. achieve B. get C. arrive D. make
13. Would you ________a walk with me after supper？
A. care about B. care for C. care with D. care taking
14. It is everyone’s duty to ______the rules of our school.
A. watch B. see C. notice D. observe
15. China is developing at such an astonishing _______that it takes on a new look every day.
A. altitude B. achievement C. direction D. rate
16. How would you like to ______your failure in the examination？
A. count on B. account for C. count in D. count with
17. What he saw in the remote mountain village _______ him to write a book about the country life there.
A. encouraged B. increased C. inspired D. engaged
18. Never before has the ________ been faced with such a threat as has happened in the past five decades
A. human race B. people C. mankind D. man
19. Fears of being punished in various possible ways kept _______her， which worried her a great deal.
A. coming to B. crowding in C. crowding in on D. crowded with
20. I strongly suggest the person that ________ out and explain all that has happened.
A. was referred to standing B. was referred to stand
C. referred to stand D. referred to standing
21. The book， which ______ for children under 10 when ________， are popular with adult readers.
A. intended; written B. was intended; being written
C. intended; writing D. was intended; written
22. Whether we can get the money we need for the project or not， we will ______ it to the end.
A. carry on with B. move on with C. come on with D. take on with
23. When he was doing the software development project， he ______ many problems that he had to solve on his own.
A. came up with B. came through C. came across D. came out
24. Ever since I became a first aider twenty years ago， which was totally _______， I have been ______my life on the go， dealing with cases of emergency.
A. in accident; living B. by chance; led
C. by chance; lived D. by accident; leading
25. The lecturer _______before the audience could _______any questions to him.
A. moved off; raise B. moved away; come up with
C. moved out; bring up D. moved up; put up
James sat outside the office waiting for the interview. He felt so 26 that he didn’t know what to do with 27 . the person who had gone in 28 him had been there for nearly an hour. And she looked so confident when she went in， 29 James. He felt 30 that she had already got the 31 . the problem was that he wanted this job 32 . it meant 33 to him. He had 34 it such a lot before the day of the interview. He had imagined himself 35 brilliantly（出色地） at the interview and 36 the job immediately. But now here he was feeling 37 . he couldn’t 38 all those things he had 39 to say. At that moment， he almost decided to get up and 40 . but no—he had to do this. He had spent so much time considering it that he couldn’t 41 like that. His hands were hot and sticky and his mouth felt dry. At last the door of the office opened. The woman who had gone in an hour earlier came out looking very 42 with herself. She smiled sympathetically（同情地）at James. At the moment James 43 her. The managing director then appeared at the office door. “ Would you like to come in now， Mr Davis？ I’m sorry to have kept you waiting.” James suddenly 44 that he had gone home after all. He got up， legs 45 and forehead sweating and wondered whether he looked as terrified as he felt.
26. A. healthy B. nervous C. careless D. confident
27. A. the interviewer B. the woman C. himself D. the situation
28. A. by B. with C. before D. after
29. A. not like B. so did C. do as D. do like
30. A. doubtful B. sure C. angry D. astonished
31. A. reward B. first C. prize D. job
32. A. hopelessly B. naturally C. easily D. so much
33. A. everything B. happiness C. difficulty D. nothing
34. A. dreamed of B. learned of C. thought about D. talked about
35. A. explaining B. performing C. answering D. writing
36. A. offered B. asked for C. being offered D. being asked for
37. A. mad B. excited C. certain D. terrible
38. A. depend on B. afford C. believe in D. remember
39. A. kept B. been taught C. planned D. been supplied
40. A. leave B. go in C. prepare D. practice
41. A. take back B. put off C. give up D. put down
42. A. ugly B. pleased C. sad D. pretty
43. A. noticed B. loved C. missed D. hated
44. A. thought B. hoped C. wished D. regretted
45. A. shaking B. bending C. walking D. stopped
Why do men die earlier than women？ The latest research makes it known that the reason could be that men’s hearts go into rapid decline when they reach middle age.
The largest study of the effects of ageing on the heart has found that women’s longevity may be linked to the fact that their hearts do not lose their pumping power with age.
“We have found that the power of the male heart falls by 20-25 percent between 18 and 70 years of age，” said the head of the study， David Goldspi